The last step on the cabinet I've been building for my friend is to fit the drawers. I was pretty confident going into it that I had sized the cabinet to match the damaged original but I was still nervous about getting the drawers installed.
The bottom drawer is a file drawer with actual full extension slides. This first drawer went in perfect and easy. The rest of the drawers (6) all had wooden rails (which I made) that fit into a groove on the side of the drawers. I glued and nailed these rails into place after carefully marking the locations. 3 of the drawer rails had to be removed and relocated until I got the drawers fit well. After all the rails were in, I waxed the slide points and so I was finished.
My friend saw the cabinet when she brought over the drawers and was very happy with it. I think she is hoping to match the stain on the existing drawer fronts which should look great. I'm hoping to deliver the cabinet today.