Ok, the legs on these desks don't really need boots but I still like the song (original and remake).
I've put the tops aside for now (will flatten more when I get the base finished) so now it's time to move on to the base. My first step on the base is to work on the legs. I have 8/4 maple stock and so my goal is to get near 2" square boards for the legs and then taper them.
The first step was to crosscut the boards to length. This board was perfect for creating 2 sets of legs for the boys desks. I trimmed the ends of any rough spots and then cut the remaining board to length.
While doing this crosscut work, I also realized I needed to do some leveling between my 2 saw benches.
Now that the boards were cut to the rough length, it was time to get the band saw out and start ripping them to rough dimensions (again, near 2"x2").
As you can see from the bandsaw, I made a lot of dust. What you see isn't even the half of it. When I cleaned it out, I probably got twice that much that was in the saw itself.
Now that the legs are roughed out, it will be time to make all the layout. I need to determine which face for which side of each leg, set the final length, mark for the tapers on the interior faces, mark for the mortises. That'll be for next time